With a little help from Terri Heck
- Use flameless candles.
- Unplug or hide electric cords.
- Install child-proof stove knobs or use knob covers.
- Never use electric blankets or heating pads unattended.
- Have loop style leashes and carriers by doors in case pets need rescuing in an emergency.
- Avoid glass bowls on wooden decks and porches. Concentrated sunlight through glass can ignite wooden surfaces.
- Consider monitored smoke detectors.
- Have window stickers to alert first responders that pets are in the house. Free pet safety packs are available through the ASPCA.