Help us fill an animal’s food bowl and spread some holiday cheer this season! From December 9th to January 9th, every time we get a like on Facebook we will donate a scoop of food in partnership with Hill’s Pet Nutrition to the Animal House Rescue – an animal rescue in our area.
Please help us by spreading the word! When we post on any of our social media accounts, please share, retweet, or create something on your own. We’re aiming to get 1,000 likes (that equals about 10 40-lb bags of dog food!) and we can’t do it without you! So please let all your friends, family, coworkers, and anyone else know so we can make this holiday season just a little bit better for these animals in need. Visit our Facebook page to make a difference!
Animal House is a different type of rescue. Animal House Rescue is a 501(c)(3) no kill dog rescue that specializes in the problem children! Many of our adoptable dogs are ready to go, but we also welcome the dogs with character. Our dogs can be bounce backs (returns), abused or neglected, and the misunderstood. We have found that these dogs will make perfectly good (and safe) companions. Someone just needs to understand them – and that’s where we come in!
** MEET CHEWBACCA (aka Bacca) **
Bacca came to AHR as an owner surrender. The family dynamics had changed and there was no longer enough time for him. Bacca is believed to be a German Shepherd mix of about 2 years old. He is a happy-go-lucky sorta guy and altho he has a serious side to him, he loves his romp and play time. He gets along with everyone and everything, loves people and other dogs, is polite, well mannered and knows basic commands. As one can see from the picture, Bacca has a comical side to him. He is social, well adjusted and by no means shy. Bacca would make a great addition to any family!
If you are interested in an AHR dog, please fill out an application found on their website: www.AnimalHouseRescuePa.org.
** MEET GIL **
Gil is one of four terrier mixes to come into AHR this month via a local PA shelter. He was an owner surrender due to economic reasons. Other than terrier mix, they have absolutely no idea what breed Gil is … perhaps Yorkie/Chihuahua (and terrier mix is just a guess also). His DOB is January 2013 and he weighs under 10 lbs. Gil is a sweetheart and was very quick to greet us upon his arrival. He will need socialization, some basic training, and some good old fashioned TLC. Oh, and because Gil is a terrier and his size, we do not recommend that he go to a family with small children.
If you are interested in an AHR dog, please fill out an application found on their website: www.AnimalHouseRescuePa.org . To see a list of our dogs, go to our petfinder page: AnimalHouseRescuePA.petfinder.org.
We’ve interviewed Animal House Rescue’s Vicki Bolinger so that we all could learn more about her and the amazing things that she does in our community!
- Where are you originally from?
- How long have you been at Animal House Rescue?
- I have been serving on the Board since January of 2012
- Where did you/do you go to school?
- Mechanicsburg High School and Harrisburg Area Community College
- What would you say is the most important impact that AHR has?
- The ability to rehabilitate dogs with behavioral issues which would otherwise have been put down
- What would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had?
- I believe our monthly low-cost vaccine clinics help provide a service to the community as this allows dogs to be vaccinate who might not otherwise receive these medications
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
- I have always had a dog in my life. I have always had a deep bond with my dogs. After a challenging day at the office, there is no one I’d rather come home to than my dogs.
- List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
Mitsy – Poodle
Snoopy – Dachshund
Barney – Beagle
Sam – Black Lab
Kasee – Black Lab
Bella – Black Lab
Jordan – Yellow Lab
Campbell – Black Lab
Piper – Yellow Lab
- What kind of food do you feed your pets?
- Verus – chicken and fish formulas
- What is your favorite movie?
- What kind of music do you like?
- A variety of pop, rock, country and classical
- What was the last book that you read?
- Anything by Nora Roberts. I listen to books on tape as I commute one hour to work on a daily basis. Therefore, I have an opportunity to listen to a lot of books during each month.
- What is your favorite TV show?
- The West Wing is my all time favorite
- Where was your last vacation?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Iron Hill Brewery in Lancaster
- Describe your perfect sandwich
- My famous perfect pulled pork sandwich with southern-style coleslaw on top
- If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
- Which is your favorite sport’s team?
- Team Lab Trio (dock diving team)
- Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting:
- I obtained a diploma in residential planning and love to redecorate people’s homes.
To learn more about Animal House Rescue, go to: www.animalhouserescuepa.org
Are you interested in keeping up to date with Animal House Rescue’s events, adoptions and activities? Go to : https://www.animalhouserescuepa.org/Events.html and register to receive their newsletter.
If you would like Animal House Rescue to consider accepting your dog(s) into their rescue, the proces is easy. Please submit the following application (https://www.animalhouserescuepa.org/Surrender_Information.html) to them at email@example.com
Animal House Rescue is a 501(c)(3) no kill dog rescue dedicated not only to rescue but also to the education & guidance for a responsible canine – human relationship.
Please consider volunteering to help Animal House Rescue. Below are some ways in which you can volunteer:
- Staffing Their vaccine clinics – see their Vaccine Clinics page for list of dates and locations (their monthly clinic is at Benny’s Pet Depot, but they hold clinics at other events as well)
- Dog handlers at their meet & greet events – They go to Benny’s Pet Depot from 5pm to 8pm on the first Friday of the month for their Yappy Hour event. They also go to Petco on Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg, and also bring their dogs to other events throughout the year. See their Events page for a list of dates and locations
- Help with fundraising events – such as our annual yard sales. See their Events page for a list.
For more information, go to: www.animalhouserescuepa.org
- help around the rescue – stay tuned for dog walking events, cleanup events, and maintenance events that we need help with.
Please join AHR for the event of the summer! They are hosting their first annual “Tails to Trails Dog Walk” on Saturday, July 20, 2013 at Lower Allen Community Park. Registration will start at 9:00 a.m. and the Walk will begin at 10:00 a.m. You and your 4-legged friend can walk the beautiful “George & Rita Garstad Nature Trails” which meander along the Yellow Breeches Creek and through the scenic meadows alive with birds and butterflies. If you walk the larger loop, you will cover approximately 8/10 of a mile. The smaller loop is approximately 1/2 mile.
The cost to participate is $20 per person. Those who register by July 1, 2013 will receive a free t-shirt.
For more information, go to: www.animalhouserescuepa.org