Students in middle school begin to seriously entertain career options. In high school that exploration continues often in earnest. Students make course decisions, choose activities and often work place based on their career path. Throughout college and veterinary school; preceptor, intern and externships are completed by students engaged in the field of veterinary science and other biology and animal related fields. Here at Winding Hill we actively participate in career day presentations at area middle schools. We welcome students from middle school age through veterinary medical school as they begin and continue their educational experience.
Rachel, our summer student intern, has been hired as a part time technician! We are very happy to have her and we interviewed her so that we all could learn more about her.
- Where are you originally from? ~Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
- How long have you been at the Hospital? ~2 Months
- Where did you/do you go to school? ~I attend Wilson College currently.
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets? ~Ever since I was a little girl I loved animals and always wanted to work with them when I grew up.
- List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones): ~Patches(cat), Princess(cat), Amey(cat), Ginger(Golden Retriever), and Snickers(rabbit) throughout my childhood. Currently I have a cat named Bella and a horse named Buddie.
- What kind of food do you feed your pets? ~Purina
- What is your favorite movie? ~Safe Haven
- What kind of music do you like? ~Country Music
- What was the last book that you read? ~The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
- What is your favorite TV show? ~Reba
- Where was your last vacation? ~Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- What is your favorite restaurant? ~Sals OIP
- Describe your perfect sandwich. ~A cheeseburger sub with lettuce, tomato, and hot peppers.
Change is coming….. Although we often fear change, the changes about to take place at Winding Hill Veterinary Clinic are a good thing! Starting the first week of November Winding Hill is installing a new computer system. We will be using a Veterinary software, called Cornerstone, will allow us to be more efficient and offer our clients more options in the way we contact them. During our transition time we will be scheduling additional time for each appointment as we learn the new system. We ask for your understanding and patience during this exciting (and a little stressful) time for us. We will continue to keep our clients updated as we move forward. Thank you The Doctors and Staff at Winding Hill Veterinary Clinic
Terri Heck, CVT, started with the practice in 1984 as a veterinary technician. She enjoys all facets of veterinary medicine with an emphasis on diagnostics and wellness. Terri is very involved locally with Search and Rescue and Criminal investigation with her K9 partner “Merit”. They, along with teammates husband Jim and K9 “Apache”, answer ~70 search calls a year for area law enforcement. They lecture and assist with bloodhound/handler training across the country and have had the pleasure of working with teams from Brazil, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland They also provide the community with over 80 programs each year with an emphasis on safety, community involvement and responsible pet ownership. Terri also teaches as a guest educator at Penn State and Alvernia Universities illustrating the human-animal connection.
- Where are you originally from?
- Mechanicsburg Pa
- How long have you been at the Hospital?
- About 8 years
- Where did you/do you go to school?
- I went to college at Delaware Valley College
- Describe your role in the area pet community?
- I work as a Veterinary Assistant
- What would you say is the most important impact that our hospital has?
- I believe that our hospital provides happiness and reliability. Our clients can be sure their pet is given the best care by people who do truly care about every individual animal. I treat every pet as i would treat my own pets, and i believe that makes an impact on the animals and our clients.
- What would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had?
- I honestly believe stray animals find me, instead of me finding them. I love to help reunite pets and their families.
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
- I grew up knowing that I wanted to help improve the lives of animals. I can never leave an animal in need when i know i can help them. It has never been a choice for me, it was always just what i had to do. There is no greater joy for me.
- List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
- (Cats): Spike, Fauna, Abby, Casper, Gizmo, Fritz, Sophie, Foster, Stella, Chubbs, and Bim. (Dogs): Bella and Yukon (Horses): Strawberry, Eve, Lissy, Newt, Quick, and Kahlua. And i had many fish as a child.
- What kind of food do you feed your pets?
- The cats get Purina, and the dogs get Science Diet.
- What is your favorite movie?
- I have a ton, but the first one that comes to mind is Ace Ventura Pet Detective.
- What kind of music do you like?
- I love all kinds of music, im open to anything. Recently though i am becoming a fan of electronic music like techo. It’s easy to dance to.
- What was the last book that you read?
- I am currently reading ‘The Man Who Rode Sharks’. I am a shark fanatic so it is interesting to me.
- What is your favorite TV show?
- My guilty pleasure is ‘Say Yes to the Dress’, but id say it’s an even tie with ‘Lost’
- Where was your last vacation?
- Cozumel Mexico. I got to SCUBA dive for the first time there and it was amazing!
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Food is my second favorite topic after animals. I love so many i simply cannot pick a favorite.
- Describe your perfect sandwich
- Fried chicken dipped in hot sauce, covered in pepper jack cheese, with an over easy egg, lettuce and fried jalapenos.
- If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
- My moms father. He passed away when my mom was 15 so i never got to meet him, but she always says we would have been close.
- Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting: This past summer i interned at the Bimini Biological Field Station (Also known as the Shark Lab), in Bimini Bahamas. I assisted with shark research and education for two months, which turned out to be the best experience of my life this far.
Our fully-stocked, on-site pharmacy ensures that your pet receives the proper medications as soon as possible for a speedy recovery and/or alleviation of symptoms. For your convenience, we maintain a complete inventory of pharmaceuticals, vitamins, shampoos, flea and tick control products, and heartworm preventatives to meet the needs of your pet. We also carry a full line of prescription diets. Our convenient, fully-stocked pharmacy, lets us fill your prescription on the spot.
We have many clients who refer friends and family to the Hospital for their pet’s veterinary care. As a way of saying thank you we have set up a new referral program. The program works like this: every time you refer a new client, the new client gets a free exam and $20 towards medical services and you get $20 in credits towards future medical services! Thank you in advance for your help and support and for trusting us with your pets’ healthcare!
Winding Hill Vet wishes Dr. Kinneman a Happy Birthday! We decided to interview her so that we all could learn more about her and the amazing things that she does in our hospital! • Where are you originally from? Right here in PA. Originally Osceola Mills, then my family moved to Wellsville. • How long have you been in the area? After graduating college, I moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico where I lived for 6 years before moving to Colorado to attend Veterinary School. I moved back here to PA in 2003. • How long have you been at the Hospital? Since April 2008 • Where did you/do you go to school? I attended Bloomsburg University for my undergraduate degree and Colorado State University for Veterinary School • Describe your role in the area pet community? Helping to provide care for my clients beloved pets so they can live a long and happy life • What would you say is the most important impact that our hospital has? Providing personalized, high quality medical care for all of our clients and their pets…..treating them as if they are a part of our family • What would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had? Honestly, that would be just becoming a veterinarian. That accomplishment has allowed me the opportunity to be a part of peoples lives with their pets • List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones): Lassie, Fluffy, Peppy, Carrie (all from my childhood), then Koster, Hanna, Navi, Zane (all before I had my daughter), now Belah, Tessie, Martin, Roger, Jeff and Billy. • What kind of food do you feed your pets? Science Diet Healthy Advantage. And the cats love their Fancy Feast! • What is your favorite movie? An older favorite of mine is Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I usually go for comedies and I hate to admit it, but I love all of Adam Sandlers silly movies! • What kind of music do you like? All kinds…..my go to songs on my ipod are from Red Hot Chile Peppers and Dave Matthews Band….but I listen to a lot of top forty due to influence from my daughter • What was the last book that you read? The Host And my 8 year old daughter and I are reading “Bailey School Kids Mysteries” series. • What is your favorite TV show? Modern Family, Psych and Project Runway (Luckily, there is such a thing as On Demand and DVR so I can occasionally watch them) • Where was your last vacation? Once a year I go to Bethany Beach • What is your favorite restaurant? Los Cuates in Albuquerque, NM • Describe your perfect sandwich Avacado, tomato, provolone and lettuce in a tortilla (YUM)