There are many benefits to the sharing of lives with a pet for senior citizens.
- A sense of connection
- Loving companionship
- The power of touch
- Increased activity, exercise and
- Promote living in the moment as pets
can so well accomplish
- A reason to get up
- A sense of purpose
- Increased social interaction
- Eases anxiety and pain
- Can lower blood pressure
There are some cautions to be considered.
- Can the pet be adequately taken care of? Is help available if assistance is needed?
- Is continued care affordable?
- If no longer able to care for the pet are arrangements made for rehoming?
- Is the personality of the pet a good match?
If owning a pet is out of reach, visits by therapy animals can add moments of pleasure to the life of a Senior. This link talks about pets for residents of assisted living communities but speaks well to all considering a pet for a senior. Check it out.