With a little help from Terri Heck
1. Use flameless candles.
2. Unplug or hide electric cords.
3. Install child-proof stove knobs or use knob covers.
4. Never use electric blankets or heating pads unattended.
5. Have loop style leashes and carriers by doors in case pets need rescued in an emergency.
6. Avoid glass bowls on wooden decks and porches. Concentrated sunlight through glass can ignite wooden surfaces.
7. Consider monitored smoke detectors.
8. Have window stickers to alert first responders that pets are in the house. Free pet safety packs are available through the ASPCA.