Here are some tips for how the make the trip easier for you and your cat:
- Choose a cat carrier with a top that easily opens or lifts off.
- Keep the carrier out in the open in a safe place so your cat can adjust to going in and out. Throw treats inside from time to time to give your cat a treat for going in.
- Feed your cat inside the carrier.
- When your cat looks comfortable, start taking him or her on a tour of the house. When that feels good, start with short trips in the car.
- Make the trip as rewarding as possible. Offer treats and calming language. Keep the loud music and sharp turns to a minimum, especially during the first few trips.
- When you make your trip to our hospital bring along a favorite toy and/or a blanket with familiar smells.
- Most important: keep your cool! Cats can sense our emotions, if you’re calm, it will help them feel better, too.