Category Archives: Community

P&G Voluntarily Recalls Limited Quantity of Dry Pet Food Due to Possible Health Risk

The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) has voluntarily recalled specific lots of dry pet food because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. These lots were distributed in the United States and represent roughly one-tenth of one percent (0.1%) of annual production. No Salmonella-related illnesses have been reported to date in association with these product lots. Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers. Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. This issue is limited to the specific dry pet food lot codes listed below. This affects roughly one-tenth of one percent (0.1%) of total annual production. The affected product was distributed to select retailers across the United States. These products were made during a 10 day window at a single manufacturing site. P&G’s routine testing determined that some products made during this timeframe have the potential for Salmonella contamination. As a precautionary measure, P&G is recalling the potentially impacted products made during this timeframe. No other dry dog food, dry cat food, dog or cat canned wet food, biscuits/treats or supplements are affected by this announcement. P&G is retrieving these products as a precautionary measure. Consumers who purchased a product listed below should stop using the product and discard it and contact P&G toll-free at 800-208-0172 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST), or via website at www.iams.com or www.eukanuba.com

ALERT: Dogswell Recalls Dog and Cat Jerky Treats

ALERT: Dogswell Recalls Dog and Cat Jerky Treats Arthur Dogswell LLC has announced it is voluntarily withdrawing certain Dogswell and Catswell brand duck or chicken jerky treats with a “Best Before” date of January 28th, 2015 (or any earlier date). The vast majority of these products were distributed via retail stores and mail order companies before March 1st, 2013. These products may contain trace amounts of an antibiotic residue that has not been approved for use in the United States. To learn more of the details, go to: www.dogswell.com/qualityassurance

Pets and Fireworks Don’t Mix in Mechanicsburg!

Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals. Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

A Message From Animal House Rescue

Please join AHR for the event of the summer! They are hosting their first annual “Tails to Trails Dog Walk” on Saturday, July 20, 2013 at Lower Allen Community Park. Registration will start at 9:00 a.m. and the Walk will begin at 10:00 a.m. You and your 4-legged friend can walk the beautiful “George & Rita Garstad Nature Trails” which meander along the Yellow Breeches Creek and through the scenic meadows alive with birds and butterflies. If you walk the larger loop, you will cover approximately 8/10 of a mile. The smaller loop is approximately 1/2 mile.

The cost to participate is $20 per person. Those who register by July 1, 2013 will receive a free t-shirt.

For more information, go to: www.animalhouserescuepa.org

Winding Hill Vets: Cat Rescue!

Last day of school in Mechanicsburg and the teachers are cleaning out their rooms when a box with six kittens ~3-4 weeks of age were found in the dumpster. A day later and the result would likely have been tragic. This litttle guy came in for an exam with us – in the teacher’s bookbin, Adorable! All six were adopted by teachers or staff! cat rescue

Dealing With The Loss of a Pet

Today these adorable labradoodles visited Winding Hill Vets for the first time. They are two years old and brother and sister. They have been together since the beginning. labradoddles Chances are they do everything together – go out together – eat together – play together etc. My thoughts turned to friends of mine that have two adorable mixed terriers that have been soul mates for years. One was just diagnosed with Lymphoma. My friends could not help but wonder how the one left behind was going to fare when the other took the journey across the Rainbow Bridge. They asked “do pets mourn? – “do they grieve”? I do not know if they grieve as we do. What I do know is that they display many behaviors which make me think they do. The change in routine, the change in the pack and in structure can be powerful. Pets feed off of our emotions as well. I have seen dogs and cats go off their food, become restless, agitated, depressed or aloof. Changes in bladder and bowel habits are often noted. Searching behavior for the lost pet can be exhibited. To my friends I offer this advice. Today, while they are still together, allow them plenty of time to enjoy each other. At the same time start some separate “just you” activity with each dog. This will give you some special moments with your special boy while he is still here with us. Most importantly it will be the basis of your little girl’s life without him. A walk around the block with you, special play time with you or grooming and massage will be most appreciated. When a pet is experiencing the loss of another pet try to keep routine as normal as possible. Resist the urge to allow bad behavior if it begins. Structure is important at this time. Add to the normal routine some additional exercise. Exercise is, in my opinion, the universal answer to many “pet issues”. Increased walks for dogs with varying venues can be mentally, physically and emotionally beneficial. Tailor the length of the walk to the dog’s physical condition. Dogs that socialize well with others may enjoy play dates. Interactive toys for dogs and cats are brimming over at pet shops everywhere. Some cats learn to walk outside with their owners as well. There are many indoor games that one can enjoy with our feline friends. Chasing beams of light is a favorite. Flavored and safe for pets bubbles are a huge hit. In summation: Losing a pet is very difficult for us and for other pets in the family. Keeping a routine supplemented by some new activity can so assist in healing for us and for them. Start from the beginning doing some activities with the pets individually. Increased human-animal bonding is very likely to happen and this can make the loss of a pet down the road less traumatic for all. Terri Heck CVT